Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Evolution of Videogames






Feeling nostalgic? Many of these images are probably bring out the good old childhood memories from some of you who enjoyed playing video games as a child. As with all otherforms of technology, video games have deeply evolved at an incredible rate. Back in the 1980's dumping quarters to play Pac-Man at a nearby laundromat was probably a common occurrence. Cue ten years later where the children who befriend other children at thriving arcades are now bringing their friends from school back home to play the newly created consoles. Videogames evolved to now be able to have an entire lightweight machine playable at the comforts of your home, with companies such as Nintendo and their SNES and N64 consoles or the Sony and their Playstation 1 consoles that so culturally impacted the 1990's. Flash forward to the 2000's where console gaming is still very much prominent, however in even far more advanced forms. Not only are our current generation consoles such as a PS3 or Nintendo WII able to play DVD's and CD's, but are able to link internationally to play games with other people across the Internet. No more did children have to go other each others houses. All they needed was internet connection and a microphone and they connected. Along with the connection to the internet, but the now prominent physically active games that are so popular now. Games such as Dance Dance Revolution, Guitar Hero, and the current motion sensory panels such as the PSMove and WII are a new breed of video games that are taking households by storm. Needless to say, videogames have deeply evolved from the old days of playing Pong.

11 comments:

  1. Alex, this post brought me back to days of pong and Pac Man. Like you say in your post, video games have truly evolved. When I played pong and Pac Man for the first time I was amazed by them and they were so much fun. Your post makes me realize how much fun all video games are, even the ones released back when pong and Pac Man came out. Video games of the present still give me the same amount of excitement. This was a really great post full of lots of information. Thank you for posting it. Mary Ann Reday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post made me think about when Mario Brothers first came out. My daughter would play and play for hours if I let her. We had a spare small tv in the dining room and she would sit there on a chair and continually try to get to the next level. I can still hear the music.

    Recent video games for younger children - such as Dance Revolution, Guitar Hero, and the Wii games are so much better for physical activity, and interaction with others.
    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED MS.PACMAN!!! When I was five, I was hospitalized for a month and was stuck in the boring play room. Adjacent to the boring puzzles and book room was a game room with Ms. Pacman! I would play and watch the doctors compete for the high score. Video games really offer players a sometimes much needed escape. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeanne, I LOVED Super Mario Brothers for Nintendo Entertainment System. NES was definitely a favorite of mine when I was in kindergarden! A twenty fifth anniversary version was released for WII. It contains Super Marion Brothers 2, 3, and a special un-released secret levels version of the original. Get it! You will have so much fun!

    It really is interesting how far technology has come in relation to video games. No matter how much fun the Kinect is, or how incredible it can be to connect with other players on XBOX LIve, I still prefer the original games. The seventh generation systems are way better though! Jeanne, do you remember having to blow into the cartridge, and then place another game on top to weigh it down, once in the NES? lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. With all the games coming out today, whether its a dance game or a shooting game, Pac Man will always be the best game. That game is my all time favorite. My cousins and I would always try to beat each other to get to the highest level or get the best score. If I can remember right, I never made it pass level 5.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this post is a blast from the past! I remember a lot of these gaming systems from my childhood. I started out with a regular Nintendo with only Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt. I then moved on to Sega Genesis. After that I moved on to N64 and that was my all time favorite system. I loved the way the evolution of the graphics looked. My favorite game for N64 was Goldeneye. With the evolution of video games, I became less interested once I got to High school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very impressed by this post. I am not vidio game person. I am educated by this information.
    The dancing game is really good for health. I may try it later on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, this brought me back to when I had time to play mario cart or Sega. Pac-man was the best game. Still to this day, if I go to Nifty Fifties I will play Pac-Man for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought it was very interesting. This post brought me back to the days when arcades were still in society. Today people have arcades right inside there homes. People don't have to leave there couches any more. I do miss though that feeling of meeting friends at the arcade. Oh well maybe they will bring back arcades. ??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Remember the early auxilary applications to the original nintendo gaming system like the mat you stepped on the buttons for movement, and the duck hunt gun and teh glove for nintendo showcased in the movie The Wizard with Fred Savage. HTey were the early and primative versions and foreshadowing of the present wii games

    ReplyDelete
  11. super nintendo was a classic, brings back the memories of blowing on the cartilage to make the games work. super nintendo has alot of great games, and was so simple yet the graphics were great. this was a long way from pong and i remember playing mario and zombie ate my nieghbor and madden.

    ReplyDelete